Pulley keys

David & Kathleen Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sun, 03 Dec 1995 12:25:27 -0600

Dear ZAB5@aol.com (Sorry, but you didn't sign your name!  It is helpful to
know whom we are writing too!),

>Has anyone discovered any new methods to treat pulley keys?
>We've heard of sizing the hole with dilutted glue.
>Which glue?   Then there's the tool
>which drills out the key bottom to fit in the inserts (see APSCO Supply
>Catalog Page 23, No. 16201). Are inserts available in various sizes?

I would second Doug Hershberger's recommendation of the Kimball
troubleshooting manual!  Also, let me refer you to a manual about the same
size, by Nikolaus Schimmel, called The Grand Keyboard and Action: Function
and Regulation.  In my opinion, this is the best written (short) guide on
regulation.  It has well written descriptions (and many pictures)of the
different steps in the regulation process.  I got it from the Schimmel booth
at a PTG convention.

On Page 19 Mr. Schimmel recommends lightly rubbing the wood with the handle
of a screwdriver to tighten the balance rail hole.  If this is not enough,
he recommends using glue size.  "...we recommend a mixture of one part glue
to three parts boiling water, which is dripped around the hole using a
hammer shank."  Mr. Schimmel does not say what kind of glue he recommends.
In extreme cases, inlay a small strip of wood in the bottom of the key near
the balance rail hole.  And in very extreme cases, you need to put in a
hardwood insert "not more than 2.5 mm thick.  Be careful to drill the hole
in the same spot!

Also, look up Art Reblitz, Piano Servicing Tuning and Rebuilding, 2nd. Ed.,
page 120.  He has a short section on glue sizing a loose balance rail hole.
He recommends using a sewing needle to "needle the wood surrounding the
hole, and apply a drop of water. While the water is drying, clean the pin
with metal polish.  When the surface of the wood feels dry, apply a drop of
aliphatic resin glue to the wood, which will soak in and strengthen the wood."

Also, the PTG home office sells a book which has reprints of various
articles from past PTG JOURNALS.  The one on KEYS includes 7 articles on
balance rail hole repairs!  In one of these articles, Susan Graham
recommends using a solution of one part glue to four parts water.  Use water
soluble glue and hot water.  Use white or yellow glue, but she says not to
use hide glue because it tends to tends to dry too hard.  Bill Spurlock has
a good article on repairing pulley keys as well.

I am not familiar with the tool that APSCO sells, or if there are different
sizes of inserts.  I have had my eye on the tool and inserts that are sold
by Ralph Joseph Onesti.  I can't find my price list from him, but he is in
the PTG Guide to Resources.

I hope this helps!

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri
Associate Member, Kansas City Chapter PTG