Twisting new bass strings

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Wed, 06 Dec 1995 00:44:17 -0500

> He asked how many turns I had put on these strings. I told him
>that I was of the school of thought to abstain from twisting new bass
>strings. He posed the question during when the meeting started: "Should we
>twist new bass strings?"

I have always twisted new bass strings one full turn (with the winding) when
stringing.  My sources have instructed that this binds the outer winding so
as to remain at taut around the core wire, lessening the opportunity of the
winding buzzing or going "dead".
However, I have never heard differently, and am up for suggestions.  Is this
just superstition or does it have scientific merit?

Eric Leatha
tunrboy@aol.com