Schraffed

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Wed, 06 Dec 1995 12:32:01 -0500

You Said:

> What exactly are "Schraffed" bass strings?
>
> Thanks, Don Rose RPT (drose@maple.net)

According to the Pianotek catalog, schraffing, long used by Europeans,
is a process which involves the roughing of the core wire to ensure the
windings stay more securely in place, thus virtually eliminating the
necessity of twisting the strings upon installation.

Paul Kupelian, RPT
kupelian@oswego.edu

In addition, I have been told that schraffed bass strings have a superior
tone. Again, I'm wondering who out there has any experience with this type of
string and what you thought.
Schraffed strings have been available for some time now, I have just been
reluctant to try them. They cost a little more and also I haven't been brave
of heart to use somthing new,be disapointed, and have to do the job over.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com