inventor of steaming hammers with Rival

Horace Greeley horace@best.com
Wed, 06 Dec 1995 09:19:02 -0800

Susan,

In the days before chemicals and over-hard new hammers, steam was a valued
and necessary part of the voicer's technical bag of tricks.  Lots of comment
in early journals and writings, also in some patent descriptions of hammer
presses, c.f. Dolge, et cet.

Horace

At 01:06 PM 12/5/95 -0700, you wrote:
>Who originally thought of the  amazing steam method of voicing? I need to
>know for an article I am running in our newsletter.
>I am having very good luck with this method, and it's so easy and fast.
>I also used the steam to straighten out some crumpled damper trichord felt.
>It reshaped the deformed damper immediately.
>
>Steaming in Seattle
>Susan Willanger RPT
>University of Washington

Horace Greeley, Consultant       email: horace@compadept.com
CompAdept Corporation            voice: (415) 988-9560 x203
1032 Elwell Court, Suite #240    fax:   (415) 988-9905
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4309         http://www.compadept.com