Yamaha digital tuning scope

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Wed, 06 Dec 1995 14:09:38 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Daryl Matthies wrote:

> At 08:23 PM 12/5/95 -0700, you wrote:
> >Daryl,
> >
> >I used a PT-100 for several years before I got my SAT-II.  While the Yamaha
> >limped by with any other method of using a machine.  The one thing that I
> >would like to see developed is a program and peripheral to use on a laptop
> >
> >Allan Gilreath
> >Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
> >Berry College
> >Gilreath@aol.com
> >

> Allan,
>
> How old is your PT-100 and what price would you be asking for it?
> I don't think that I am interested in a unit that can memorize a complete
> tuning.  Isn't it easier to just get the pitch and possibly the temperament
> octave tuned with a digital tuning tool and tune the remainder of the piano
> by ear?     Why save a tuning in a computer?    Doesn't this take a lot
> longer to get through a tuning if you are constantly fiddling with the tuner
> to get the next pitch for the next key on the piano?
>
> Unless someone can show me better, I still feel that the best tuning is done
> aurally.  I use a digital tuning tool to find the current pitch of the piano
> and then tune the temperament octave using the tuner only as an aid and not
> as an absolute.
>
> Daryl Matthies
> Mathis Piano Service
> West Bend, WI   pianotec@hscinc.com

Congratulations, Daryl!

This could be a very interesting thread, indeed!

I have done exactly as you say you do, for many years now, and I plan to
continue.  I can remember the days when I was often asked< "You don't
tune with a machine, do you?  It seems that the customers had learned that
equipment is often used as a substitute for skill and patience.

I could go on, but let's just start by suggesting that the doctor not
forget to focus on the patient instead of the monitor...

OK, guys and gals, Have at it!

Gordon Wilson
Keyboard Studio
Urbana, IL