Tuning pins

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Thu, 07 Dec 1995 17:54:22 -0800 (PST)

I am about to destring 1919 upright (my first attempt at rebuilding, or
at least a partial one).  When it comes to removing the tuning pins,
Reblitz recommends the use of a variable speed drill, but he does not
suggest high or low speeds.  I would assume a lower speed is best, but
the pin would then remain in the block for a longer period of time.  I am
not planning to ream the holes after, as the pins are reasonably
uniformly tight.  Besides, I only have a heavy drill, and a previous
discussion on this list highly recomended a light drill so that the drill
takes the direction of the hole you are reaming.

Laurence Beach
Vancouver BC
Canada.