Tuning pins

MR DAVID M SWARTZ NKLP55A@prodigy.com
Thu, 07 Dec 1995 22:06:45 -0500 (EST)

-- [ From: David Swartz * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> Date: Thursday, 07-Dec-95 08:59 PM
>
> From: Laurence Beach           \ Internet:    (lbeach@sfu.ca)
>
> Subject: Tuning pins
>
> I am about to destring 1919 upright (my first attempt at rebuilding,
or
> at least a partial one).  When it comes to removing the tuning pins,
> Reblitz recommends the use of a variable speed drill, but he does not
> suggest high or low speeds.  I would assume a lower speed is best,
but
> the pin would then remain in the block for a longer period of time.
I am
>  not planning to ream the holes after, as the pins are reasonably
> uniformly tight.  Besides, I only have a heavy drill, and a previous
> discussion on this list highly recomended a light drill so that the
drill
>  takes the direction of the hole you are reaming.
>
> Laurence Beach
> Vancouver BC
> Canada.

Laurence,

We use a Sears 1/2 variable speed drill with a tuning pin drive
(available at supply houses..i.e. Schaff).  A moderate speed will prove
sufficient as you remove the tuning pins.  It is best, once the strings
are removed to make certain there are no string coils left on the
tuning pins that will scratch the plate  as you extract the pins. I
mention this as we will cut the strings (once reduced in tension) and a
coil tail will exist.  Some like to remove the entire string with coil
at the time of destringing.  This is only practical on the bass string
section anyway.

As far as reaming is concerned, there are different schools of thought
present.  If the original pins are fairly tight and uniform, I would
not ream.   I would suggest using 1 size larger tuning pin for
replacement.  Going to a 2  size (i.e...from a #2 to a #4)  larger pin,
as per many discussions of past is somewhat over kill and the end
result is not as desirable.  Measure the length of the original pin for
proper depth replacement and include that measurement with diameter
size on your new tuning pin order.

Dave Swartz, RPT
Northwestern College
Majestic Piano