Leather for key bushings

Homboy1199@aol.com Homboy1199@aol.com
Sat, 09 Dec 1995 22:56:34 -0500

Has anyone else ever worked with Iranian Goat leather.  It may be difficult
to find. We use it in the key bushings of our Fortepiano copies but I've also
used it when we used to rebuild concert grands.  It is a very tightly pressed
leather that doesn't seem to want to shrink or expand.  I found it in
Gloversville, New York but it's been years since I've bought it.

I've also had experience with sanding leather and agree that the technique is
very effective.  We use a disk sander with a screw setting adjustment but
more care must be taken to prevent injury when using this method.

John  Lyon
Lyon Keyboard Instruments