Pricing Policies

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 11:11:54 -0500

You all will excuse me while I climb out of my ivory tower and onto a soapbox
but
this recent thread on Pricing Policies has been eating at me .
Apparently there are those that charge differently between a grand piano and
an upright, the mindset being that:

1. A piano of superior quality demands a higher level of service.
2. Owners of grands can afford to pay more than the owners of lesser
instruments,
    or at least are more discerning.

I'm having a real problem with this thinking.

Does or should a physician practice a different kind of medicine on an
indigent patient than he/she does on a rich one?

Does or should a lawyer practice a different level of law depending on the
magnatude(importance,exposure) of his/her client?

Do  or should we as professionals make a differentiation between Mrs. Jones
and her ZZZZ console piano and Andre Watts and his CFIII Concert grand?

Sure, more work should always equate to a higher fee, but a dollar is a
dollar regardless of whose pocket in comes out of.
Someone on this list recently said:" I feel one must charge enough to always
do his best work."
I hope that what was meant was ....I will always do the best work possible
and charge accordingly.
Isn't the whole idea to leave each and every piano in the best possible
condition according to your capabilities rather than doing one kind of work
on piano A and a different kind of work on piano B?
Just my two cents.

On a lighter note...............      Marshall University 25
                                           McNeese State         13

Next Saturday in Huntington,W.V. at Marshall Stadium

                                          Marshall University
                                                     v.s.
                                        University of Montana

                         for the 1-AA  National Championship