Litigation

RndyPotter@aol.com RndyPotter@aol.com
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 22:58:29 -0500

In Bill Spurlock's reply on the Litigation (piano falling over on pianist at
hotel) matter, he noted that he uses the GRK Mobileer for pianos that need to
be moved in the situation noted.
  After describing the dolly system, he also said:
  "I *always* bolt the piano to it for stability and safety. GRK makes no
provision for this, apparently expecting the piano to just sit on the dolly.
However, it would not be hard to push the piano over backward, possibly
squashing a small child. So,
you have to drill the dolly and secure it to the piano with lag bolts. Once
this
is done, the unit will stand up to typical clumsy school moving, over
thresholds, carpeting, etc. Unfortunately, this is an expensive way to go,
and schools often want to go with a cheaper system. I refuse to get involved
with anything I consider unsafe, and make sure to tell them, why."
  I have been recommending and using these for years and guess what - the
*used* to provide holes in the back of the corner braces, and in the bottom,
AND sent along bolts to be used to bolt the piano to the case from back and
bottom. The directions even explained how to do it!
  Question: Since the USED to do it, but do not do it any longer, do you
suppose they will find themselves in court someday, too, when someone less
consciencious than Bill install it without drilling their own holes and
bolting it in?
  "And can you tell the court WHY you discontinued drilling these four holes
in the frame, and discontinued sending the four bolts to bolt it in, and
deleted the reference from the directions?"
  "Well, we saved about 28 cents for each hole we did not have to drill, and
43 cents for each bolt, and a penny-and-a-half in printing costs by doing
this. Seemed good at the time, don't you think, your honor?"

Randy Potter, R.P.T.