We, the endangered - Get Involved

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 15:23:22 -0600

Anyone who hasn't yet might like to read the cover story article from the
May/June issue of Piano & Keyboard Magazine. It was written by Lou
Tasciotti and is titled, "Sound Decisions: Should you Rebuild your Piano"?
This article (objectively?) tries to answer the question for musicians
whether they should buy a new Steinway or rebuild an older one, and whether
that rebuilding should be done at the factory or trusted to an independent
rebuilder.

The August issue of this same Magazine, has some letters in response, one
of which was written by Ed McMorrow.

Obviously, this is a sensitive topic, I will only say that all three
letters in response were polite, but demonstrated less than positive
support for Lou's article, and I take that position as well. This is potent
stuff.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College