Wurlitzer Bass string breakage.

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet1.buffnet.net
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 23:03:54 -0500 (EST)

> I recently got a call to replace a bass string on a Wurlitzer Studio at a
> High School.
> I attempted to replace it with a universal bass string.  I measured the
> string with my Micrometer and with a string gauge.  I then proceeded to
> replace the string.  I pulled the string up to tension and as I when I did a
> test blow to make use I got the pin set,  The new string broke.  I tried
> again, remeasured to be sure I didn't make a mistake and then I used a 1/2
> size larger string ( because I was out of the other size.)  The second string
> broke also.  I have never had this type of problem installing a universal
> bass string before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Alan Ladd
> Anderson SC

Alan, the question is: Where did the string break? If it broke at either the
beginning or end of the winding, perhaps you nicked the core wire when you
cut the winding. If it broke at the upper plate pin, it could be hanging up
there. Although I don't do much universal string replacement anymore, after
35 years of tuning I've done my share. I've always found it easier to replace
bass strings with the action out of the piano. After installing the new
string, I tune it with the action still out of the piano, by plucking it re-
peatedly and GRADUALLY bringing it up to pitch by comparing it with the re-
maining old string (if it's a two string unison). The advantage of bringing
the string up to pitch gradually, rather than with just one continuous mo-
tion of the tuning hammer, is that it allows you to detect if the string is
hanging up somewhere BEFORE it breaks. This gives you the opportunity to back
it off a bit, put a drop of lubricant on the upper plate pin (often the of-
fender), and then bring it up to pitch. Actually you should be able to take
a new string considerably above pitch (say a third or so), without any danger
of breakage. Two other considerations: 1st, universals don't improve with
age. So if your strings are more than ten or twelve years old, it's probably
time to get a new set. Lastly, even if your strings are relatively new, you
might have a set with bad core wire. Many years ago I had a set that looked
okay, but gave me similar breakage problems. I tossed it, rreplaced it, and
the problems stopped. One final thought: The next time a universal replace-
ment string breaks for you, try using one the next size smaller, rather than
the next size larger. I hope this helps.

Les Smith