Wurlitzer Bass string breakage.

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 23:26:05 -0500

Alan,

Good to finally hear you on the list my friend.  My advice would be to either
splice the old string or order a new one from Mapes.  IMHO, universal bass
strings are next to useless.  Splicing, if possible, eliminates much of the
stretching problem as well as a difference between the tone of a new string
versus the old one (if on a bichord.)

In ordering a new string check to see which scale this instrument is.  A
Wurlitzer studio should be either a 900 scale (model 2924, etc.) or a 450
scale (model 2950, 2960, 2980 etc.).  To find the scale number, look on below
the treble hitch pins behind the action (great place to put it, isn't it?).
 You can then order the correct replacement based on scale and string number.
 I don't know if Baldwin still carries these strings in stock since they have
discontinued production of Wurlitzer studios.  If you have too much
difficulty with strings breaking, Mapes has a low tension scale for this
model that Wurlitzer developed some years ago.  Of course you would have to
replace the entire set.

Hope this helps,

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.