Ehrbar

Ernest Juhn 71341.1370@compuserve.com
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 12:04:55 -0500 (EST)

To all who wrote about the EHRBAR piano (and those who said "you have to ask
someone old"..) Here is a little something.  When I lived in Vienna for a short
time, awaiting my visa to the US in 1950/51,  I worked for the still existing
Ehrbar company on the "Parkring". They still made some uprights and I installed
dampers and other things. I also remember something even more noteworthy than
the pianos and the Ehrbar company, the sales manager of the showroom was a
gentleman by the name of Dvorak and he was an honest to goodness grandson of the
famous composer Antonin Dvorak.
Later -  maybe in 1988 or 1989 I visited Vienna and found out that the company
does no longer exists  but located a small rebuilding shop named Ehrbar
somewhere in "Mariahilf" (a part of Vienna) where there was still one old man
who worked with Ehrbar for all his life, remembered me too and showed me around.
By the way, in that shop I found, on it's side a # 7  Boesendorfer which by now
probably has been rebuilt and sold.
Ernie Juhn, RPT