Steinway bass string scales

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 22:24:48 -0500 (EST)

Greeting again, all!

While reading a post by Audrey Karabinus (Re: Steinway boards, Sunday,
October 29, 1995) recently, something she said about going to the source
(" If you still have a technical question, why not go right to
the factory source and call Michael Mohr or Scott Jones?") made me wonder
if we're talking to the same people.

I have recently been confounded by differences in bass string scales that
Steinway has been using.  Several pianos in my purview that have had
broken-bass-string-syndrome (if memory serves, their serial #s are in the
414,000 range) have shown scales that are vastly different from what
Mapes sends out as being Steinway scales.  What made me wonder about
Audrey's note is a response we got from Michael Mohr when we asked him
about Steinway's bass string scale.  The question was simply, "may we
have the specifications for Steinway L bass strings?"  The answer?  "I
can't share that with you.  It's 'guarded' information."

Guarded?  I suppose Michael would next suggest that we all put away our
micrometers and not bother to mic bass strings as we replace them lest we
discover this "trade secret!"

Has anyone been privy to Steinway bass string scales?  I'm interested in
knowing what kinds of changes have been made over the last 20-25 years --
*if* there have been any.  I consider this information anything *but* top
secret since it's important to try to match string core/winding gages
when replacing bass strings (it's called "homogenous unisons").

I tried to get this information from Steinway.  They weren't very forthright.

Feel free to respond directly to me (especially if there are files to be
offered) at torrella@umich.edu.  For those who were aware of my presence
at the University of Illinois, please take note that I am now at the
University of Michigan!

Thank you!

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Michigan