Steinway bass string scales

Mark Dierauf 71204.2532@compuserve.com
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 20:51:32 -0500 (EST)

>>Earlier I kept wondering why the set I removed from a piano sounded
>>better than the new set of strings.  Inharmonicity increases by the fourth
>>power of the distance unwound.  As soon as I realized this I started sending
in
>>winding specifications instead of ordering a set by name, rank and serial
>>number.

Not only do they increase the end lengths - I was shocked at the diameter (both
core and wrap) discrepancies between the original strings and what Mapes sent to
me on the last "O" set that I got. It's like Al Sanderson says - "Whether you
like it or not, whenever you order 'replacement' strings, you *are* rescaling
the piano" The difference is, who's gonna design your strings? You, or the
stringwinder?

                  Mark Dierauf
                  Concord, NH

visit the WinScale Homepage at: