Service scheduling software

Dean Reyburn 75601.2765@compuserve.com
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 23:28:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi All;
      I just joined pianotech, and should have done so long ago.  I'd like to
comment on a couple of messages forwarded to me just before I signed on...

>Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:05:37 -0500
>I have been using Piano Service Manager. A MS-DOS program customized and
>regurarly advertised in the PTG journal by Dean Reyburn, RPT.  I believe
>the program is dBaseIII+, then compiled by another program for increased
>speed.
>David Denison, RPT

>Date: Sun, 03 Dec 1995 23:59:26 -0500
>I too use Dean Reyburn's Piano Service Manager program. I 'm sure it's
>written in Yankee Clipper though if you check the documentation. I've
>used it for a little more than 2 yrs. now if memory serves. It's a very stable
>very fast Dos program. no you can't share info with the windows clipboard but
>there's not much you would need to cut & paste anyway. the Last time I
>called Dean, his wife Martha said that he was working on a Windows version.
>You may want to check with him. I find the program to be very useful.
>                                                     Greg Newell

      My thanks to a couple of Piano Service Manager users.  PSM is written in
_Nantucket_ Clipper Summer '87 version, a  dBase (or xBase) database programming
language compiler.  I have not moved to the newer CA-Clipper 5.x since it is not
as fast, and produces larger, less stable programs.  (It ain't broke, so why fix
it?).  PSM is very fast since it is compiled into machine language, the
computer's native tongue.  My program also is very stable because I have taken
great care to make it so, and because the Clipper S'87 compiler is the best
there is for MS-DOS.
      Clipper programs such as PSM use dBase III+ database files, which are
fast, efficient and compatible.  Users can import info into other systems that
read dBase.  PSM's indexes are Clipper-only *.NTX format, they are twice as fast
as dBase *.NDX indexes, although PSM can actually use either format if
compatability is more important than speed.  (Wow that's not even in the
manual!)
      This is great!  I hardly ever get asked about the technical side of
writing software, so I hope the above doesn't bore you guys too badly.

      Here's a tip for PSM users: It is possible to paste into the Windows
clipboard.  Just save a file with the PSM Letter Writer.  Then open up the same
file with the Windows clipboard.  PSM does mailmerge with ANY word processor,
whether Windows or DOS.
      I still fully support, and continue to upgrade PSM/DOS, but I am now in
development of a Mac/Windows cross platform version of PSM.  I hope to be
finished with a first version by the end of '96, but I'm not going to call it
PSM '96 (as in Windows '95).   I am using Microsoft FoxPro, which is also a
xBase compiler, but a much more powerful one than Clipper.  It produces great
looking, stable programs, for both platforms, Macintosh and Windows.  FoxPro
programs have the native look, feel and speed of each platform.
      I just recently released PSM for Mac/SoftPC which runs under the MS-DOS
emulator "SoftPC" 3.0 by Insignia.  Only a few modification were needed, and all
features are available as they are on DOS.  This version is still a DOS program,
and Mac-only people wouldn't find it as easy as a "real" Mac program.  PSM for
SoftPC is an interim solution, until the real version is done.  I carry a Mac
PowerBook Duo 280c with me all the time now, so I can calculate a SAT tuning
with "Chameleon 2" my digital audio tuning system, and set the next tuning
appointment too!  Now I don't have to carry two laptops!

Question on Piano Service Manager, Tuning Manager for DOS or Mac are welcomed.
Demo disks are still free, if you don't like it, use them for backups!

Dean

* Dean L. Reyburn, RPT                                  *
* "Software Solutions for Piano Technicians"            *
* REYBURN PIANO SERVICE, INC.                           *
* Sanderson Accu-Tuner Authorized Distributor           *
* 2695 Indian Lakes Rd, NE  Cedar Springs, MI  49319    *
* 616-696-0500    Fax: 616-696-8121                     *
* INTERNET:75601.2765@compuserve.com                    *