convincing physical plant on need for climate control

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 14:08:27 -0800

At 03:19 PM 12/15/95 -0700, you wrote:
>>I need some help in how to present to the director of the physical plant at
>>the college where I work (Colby College in Waterville, ME) the need for
>>consistency in temp. and humidity in the music building.  The music faculty
>>seems to understand this.  Their primary concern is a S&S D in the
>>auditorium.  Apparently the heat is lowered to 50 or 55 degrees at night,
>>making my tuning efforts as permanent as ice sculpture in Death Valley.  (I=
>'m
>>told that the piano students wear coats and gloves while waiting to play in
>>their rep. classes.)
>>
>>The tricky part of this is the phys. plant wants to save heating $$$, and t=
>he
>>music dept. wants the climate controlled, but doesn't want the expense to b=
>>added to the music dept budget.  The piano teacher requested that I write t=
>>the physical plant director in my capacity as piano technician for the
>>school.
>>
>>I am interested to know how you CAUT's have dealt with this issue.  The
>>bottom line, no doubt is money.  The college can pay to have the heat kept
>>up, or have the instruments serviced more often, but which budget will it
>>come from?   I don't expect the plant director to know much (or care to kno=
>w)
>>about pianos, so I don't want to be too verbose, but I want to make a stron=
>>(and convincing) point.  If the pianos fall apart, the music dept. will hav=
>>to pay to have them fixed.  Can anyone suggest how to convince the
>>maintenance dept. that _they_ have an interest in preventing such damage?
>>
>>(I'm also trying to get the music school to have Dampp-Chasers installed)
>>
>>Gordon Large, RPT
>>Maine
>
>Gordon,
>
>I've found 2 things effective. 1.  Find the person responsible for turning
>the screwdriver to have your problem fixed.  It is prudent to go up the
>chain-of-command, but in the end it's the attitude of the people doing the
>greasing and fixing that make things happen.  And, when you find them, make
>friends with them - particularly this time of year.  A bottle of favored
>libation makes more humidity than anything.
>        2.  Collect data and send it up the chain-of-command.  I have a
>humidity gauge in each heating unit area.  We read these gauges every week
>and send the numbers off to the physical plant.  This gives instant
>feedback as to what the conditions are and how their units are operating.
>Our heating plant is now bragging about how well they take care of us,
>instead of ignoring our plight.
>        As for operating both heating and humidfying units on computers.
>Before our humidifiers were put into use the temps in our classrooms were
>averaging 74=BA and 15% RH.  After we got the physical plant to turn the
>humidity on they found that classrooms were confortable at 68=BA and 40% RH.
> [...]
All,

Please let met add my two cents worth..

Joel accurately lays out a comprehensive plan guaranteed to get some
positive results.  The secret is getting each participant in a given
situation to get at least _part_ of what they want.  In most cases, the
overall improvement will be such that all will be pleased.  Years ago I had
vitually the same experience re: heat and humidity at a similar institution.

Best to all!

Horace Greeley

Horace Greeley                             Email: horace@compadept.com
CompAdept Corporation                      Voice: (415) 988-9560 x203
1032 Elwell Court, Suite 240                   Fax: (415)   988-9905
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4309                       http://www.compadept.com