Falconwood Pinblock Problems

Mark Dierauf 71204.2532@compuserve.com
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:27:05 -0500 (EST)

>> I have found the pins to be very draggy and jumpy in the Steinways (both
M's), not >>so bad in the M&H A. Of course the Steinways have the most high
profile use. >>Fine tuning them is very difficult.

>>The installer assures me to "wait a year and they will dry out. You will think
them >>as the best pinblock you can use." What happens before a year passes can
be >>politcally damaging with the patrons.

 I have one S&S "A" with one of these blocks in it - a performance piano, too,
and I have always hated and despised it. Of course it has something to do with
the size of the bit used to drill the holes, but I'll stick with Delignit. I
actually helped the rebuilder who installed the Falconwood block by stringing
the piano after he had installed and drilled it, and I remeber that I couln't
drive the new pins in with a 4 lb. hammer until he suggested rubbing the pins
with violin bow rosin. It was a good thing that nobody was around to hear my
"comments" while tuning this monster!
  It did eventually get to the point (after 6 or 7 years) where it wasn't such a
problem to tune, but whether it was due to an enlargement of the tuning pin
holes or my bicepts I'll never know for sure.

                  Mark Dierauf
                  Concord, NH

visit the WinScale Homepage at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mdierauf