Falconwood Pinblock Problems

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 18:01:34 -0500

> I have found the pins to be very draggy and jumpy in the Steinways (both
M's), not >>so bad in the M&H A.(snip)
>I have one S&S "A" with one of these blocks in it - a >performance piano,
too,
>and I have always hated and despised it.

These sorts of difficulties are news to me. A properly bored Falconwood block
should pin and tune admireably. I've never experienced these problems. The
problems I *have* had are not being able to get it when I need it (probably
my fault). It is also a bear to fit to the flange and to drill.

>I couln't
>drive the new pins in with a 4 lb. hammer until he suggested >rubbing the
pins
>with violin bow rosin.

Doesn't the use of Rosin increase the torque? If you can't drive the pins as
they are rosin will make it worse.

Use a sharp "I" bit(for #2 pins), keep it cool, and make sure the drill rpm
is correct.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com