Falconwood Pinblock Problems

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 16:35:26 -0700 (MST)

Although I now use maple pinblocks, for years I used
falconwood and rarely had a problem with it.  The key, as stated
in other messages, is to be very consistent.

Falconwood is unforgiving material.  I always drilled using a
bit .010 under the pin size.  I tried for a drill speed of around
750 RPM and kept the feed rate to a speed where the chips
would just clear the bit as I was drilling. We used a drill bit with
special fluting (sharpened, polished, and steeper which has a special
name that I have forgotten). It ejected the chips faster than standard
high speed drill bits, allowing us a faster feed rate.
The feed rate is critical and again consistency is essential.
It would be ideal to use an automatic feed drill press with an adjustable
feed rate. We used a stream of compressed air to cool the bit which
also helps keep chips clear of the work.

If used carefully falconwood is great, but it never felt quite as good as
maple.  It is nice to have a choice again.

Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music,Murray State University
P.O. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071, Ph:  502-762-4396
Email:  sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu