Powertool Questions

EBordeleau@aol.com EBordeleau@aol.com
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 22:37:39 -0500

>I am in the planning stages for a new rebuilding shop. I remember a class at
>the Kansas City PTG National a couple years ago, that I missed.
>
>What I want to decide immediately is the cost effectiveness of a RADIAL ARM
>DRILL PRESS.

The most important considerations re: drill presses (or any other bench tool
for that matter) is accuracy and sturdiness.  I'm not familiar with that
specific machine, but you want to check out how rigid (or flexible!) the
machine is, and how much runout is in the spindle and drill chuck.  Easiest
way to check rigidity is to put a piece of 2x4 on the table and bear down
with it with the spindle, the check for how much "spring" you can notice.
 Less is better; if the spring is quite noticeable, pass on it - it won't
hold up to pinblock work.  RE: runout- the best way is to tighten a drill bit
in the chuck and use a dial indicator to measure off the smooth part of the
bit.  Turn the spindle slowly by hand and watch the dial.  Don't buy it if
the runout is greater than .003" - that's half a tuning pin size. I use a
Bridgeport milling machine to drill my blocks, and the runout is less than
.0005".   Most cheap machines will be way over this.

>Another question is in the field of Bandsaws. I have read about them in
"Band
Saw Handbook" by Sterling. Good book. Sterling infers that band saws can be
just as accurate as a table saw. Of course the main use is for cutting
pinblock planks. But getting the most for the buck is the quest here as
opposed to owning two saws that take up space. Are table size bandsaws enough
for piano work? Is a full size high quality bandsaw worthy of any addition
cost when it comes to ripping, etc.?<

Lorin - I've seen industrial bandsaws with 1" + blades that cut almost as
clean as a tablesaw, but don't expect that kind of performance from a
"homeowner" grade machine.  I wouldn't use anything less than a 14" Delta for
cutting pinblocks - that's *very* demanding service.  If the main purpose of
the saw is to cut pinblocks, you'd be better off getting a high quality sabre
saw and circular saw - for about the same price or less than an inexpensive
(and inaccurate and underpowered) band saw.

If you're going to be a serious rebuilder you're going to need serious tools.
 It'll make your work faster, more accurate, and more enjoyable.  Buy one
tool at a time and get the best you can afford and you'll never regret it
(besides- you can write em all off your taxes).

Ed Bordeleau
Pianoarts, Inc.