Steinway monkey connection

Mark Dierauf 71204.2532@compuserve.com
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 23:30:01 -0500 (EST)

>>   The hanger loop that connects the Steinway sostenuto monkey to
>>the sostenuto lifter blade is soldered into place.  It is common for
>>the loop joint to become wobbly and not uncommon for the loop to come
>>off completely.  What are appropriate tools, material, and procedures
>>for reattaching the loop to the lifter blade?

  Why not just solder it back on? Remove the rail, soften any remaining solder
at the joint with a propane torch, and clean it up with a wire brush chucked
into a drill press or hand drill. Small amounts of the solder and flux are
available at any hardware store for short money, and if you don't know the
procedure for soldering, any knowlagable hardware store clerk will fill you in -
it's really quite easy and even more than a little satisfying! (If the clerk
*can't* tell you, find a better hardware store). I enjoy seeing some part
getting stuck PERMANANTLY to some other part in the blink of an eye. Beside's,
the next time you get a broken copper water pipe, you will save a fortune by not
having to call the plumber.
  The fact that this hanger came loose at all was probably because it wasn't
soldered well at the factory. Generally, these joints last forever.
                  Mark Dierauf
                  Concord, NH

visit the WinScale Homepage at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mdierauf