Inharmonicity

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 13:18:16 -0500

Arlie Rauch posted:
>>Can anyone explain the inharmonicity between two bass strings that should
sound in unison?  What is the cause?

I encounter this on the rare occasion that I replace a bass string with a
universal...<<

Dear Arlie,

Some bass strings just don't get along side by side, and it doesn't have to
be a universal string replacement to cause the discrepancy.  There are brand
new pianos that have it as well.

Finding the offender with aural tests, then replacing it with another bass
string eliminates, or at least lessens the offense.  Sometimes a bass string
replacement can even make the offense worse or with no discernable
improvement at all.  Hence, the process begins again.

I imagine you wanted the technical explanation for this phenomina though.
 However, I felt led to post this.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University