Key dip question

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 12:32:27 -0600

0On Fri, 22 Dec 1995 Tcoates@aol.com wrote:

> I just had a pianist ask this question:
>
> Is there any way to adjust the key depth on a piano so the key response
> happens more at the surface?

      Tim: This is a classic example of the lack of communication
between technicians and pianists! This gap could be greatly reduced if
performers understood the basics of "how the damn thing works!"  WE need
to educate them on the basics. But, we also need to play detective to
interpret their request to understand where they are coming from, and how
they understand the action. I usually ask them a series of questions to
narrow down the possibilities. Good luck!

John Minor
Piano Technician
University of Illinois
jminor@uiuc.edu