Piano Tuning/Repair

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 13:41:43 -0500

>     By the way, there is a fellow who advertises in piano teachers
>magazines that anyone can learn to have perfect pitch.  He of course can
>teach you.  He says that hearing specific notes is no harder than
recognizing
>specific colors.  Anyone out there ever heard anything about this fellow or
>what he professes to be able to teach?
>Ed Hilbert, RPT
>Vermont
>Chapter

I was listening to NPR this morning (12/23) and they had a nice fluff piece
about "Perfect Pitch".  The conclusions of some supposed scientific research
was that up to ten percent of musicians are capable of perfect pitch. I
thought that figure rather high: perhaps they were looking at college &
university students and profs. There was mention of perceiving pitch as most
perceive color, training being necessary for those who were "capable", and
the general inability for people not born with the inherent talent.

I have one middle school teacher who thinks he has perfect pitch, but he
admitted that sometimes he can be off a titch. Perhaps he truly has relative
pitch.

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA