Inharmonicity

Bbarasa@aol.com Bbarasa@aol.com
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 15:31:55 -0500

I have never used universal strings because I don't understand how they can
ever give the same partials as the string that really belongs there -- made
to order.  But maybe I'm just chicken.

>From what I learned from my mentor, Fred Tremper, the partials are a function
of both the length and thickness of the string.  In wound strings, this means
the winding has to be exactly the right length in order to give off the right
partials.  I don't see how this can be accomplished with universal strings.
 I either tie the original string back on or order a new one.

I can't find the command to get a list of people on this list.  I am
particularly interested in finding Fred and also Alan Day, who, the last I
heard, was in Vermont.  Any leads?

Thanks!

Barb Barasa