Perfect Pitch

PaulStep@aol.com PaulStep@aol.com
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 18:25:38 -0500

The NPR story on perfect pitch (12/23) was interesting.  Perhaps most
interesting of all was the easily missed assertion that those who have
"perfect Pitch" appear to be storing & retreaving this information from the
dominant side of the brain, the side that controls language, logic, math,
etc.  Musical ability is typically considered a subdominant ability.  If this
is true, perfect pitch is not necessarily related to musical skills or
ability.  We are really learning much about this sort of thing at our house
since our son is recovering from a traumatic brain injury.  (There really is
value in bicycle helmets!!)  I really believe that this (perfect pitch) is a
learned skill.  But like everything, some folks have a more affinity for it
than others.

Paul Stephens RPT