Dampp-Chaser Systems

L. Davidson Lamoreaux 102555.33@compuserve.com
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 02:40:04 -0500 (EST)

Dear Randy Potter, thank you for your excellent article on Dampp-chasers, bolt
tightening, etc. You have summarized very well what works so well to stabilize a
piano. I have had a few exceptional cases of pianos which didn't stabilize after
all the different procedures you outlined.  I was able to get some better
results by adding a felt string cover and a cloth or felt undercover--something
covering the bottom of the piano to stop stray air movement or vents, etc from
disturbing the environment under the soundboard. I agree that a cover over the
piano to the floor is not necessary to get good results. On an old Steinway B
(with a climate control system installed) in a music school, I was able to
control slipping pins by making sure the quilted piano cover was kept on the
instrument between uses of the instrument. It was a very graphic illustration of
how much difference could result from good  monitoring of piano environment and
sloppy lazy attitudes. It took a lot of work to get the school personnel's
attention but it paid off.

Thank you for your time spent putting this info on the forum. I hope you have
enjoyed and are enjoying good holidays.

David Lamoreaux, RPT
102555.33@compuserve.com