the Pianotech Digest Searcher

David Parkhurst wind@crl.com
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 00:18:53 -0700

> >I have tried to design it to be self-explanatory and easy to
> >use so I'd appreciate hearing of any problems or confusions that
> >may arise. It is very much a "work in progress" and is still in
> >it's infancy so do be gentle....

> David,
>
> I haven't seen any comments on this.  I just tried it myself and it's very
> impressive.  Very powerful tool.  Could you tell us a little more about how
> you set this up?  Maybe give us some example of how to the use search top
> come up with more specific documents.
>
> For instance, you say:
>
> "Enter search word(s) (or = , and = ; * = # )"
>
> What does all this mean?

Thanks for using the Searcher and especially thanks for writing
about it. I hope to find the time soon to add a help page of
instruction and examples but for the meantime here's a brief
attempt to clarify those odd little "search word(s)":

The search words, perhaps better referred to as boolean
operators, are here represented by the comma, the semicolon,
and the pound sign. By using one of them to separate the terms
or strings you're searching for you can make the searcher use
boolean logic. For example, if you want the Searcher to return
only the entries which contain both the terms "piano" and "tuner"
you would type in the following entry:

piano;tuner

If, on the other hand, you wish the Searcher to return all the
entries containing either of the search terms, "piano" or
"tuner" you would give this command:

piano,tuner

The # serves as a wildcard letter.

David Parkhurst