Mailing list -Reply -Reply

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 06:49:23 -0700

>>> <DBHersh@aol.com> 12/27/95 05:10pm >>>
>Is it normal when you post a message to pianotech that the
>person posting the message does not view the message on
>their own computer?
You have control over that.  When you ask listserv for <help>,
you get 3 pages explaining different request or commands you
can send to listserv.  The command you want is <set>.  The
option=mail, and arg=ack (meaning your message is sent back to
you).  So here are the commands.
      First you get the help list from listserv by sending email
      to listserv@byu.edu, leave the subject blank, and in the
      body of the message say help.  That gets you three
      pages of instructions-save or print this for future
      reference.  Then looking at the second request which is
      <set>, again the email goes to listserv@byu.edu (think of
      listserv as being a person) and the command is <help set>
      which will get you a page of detailed instructions about
      the set command.  Again save or hardcopy these instructions
      and now  email goes to listserv@byu.edu, and the body of
      the message is four words
                                  set pianotech mail ack
      This will tell listserv to send you a copy of everything you
      send to pianotech.
All of this was new to me two years ago when we set up this
mailing list (I didn't even know such a thing existed) and I went
through these steps.  I printed out the help pages and stapled
the page of detailed instructions for each request to the help
pages, do I have a several page booklet to refer to when needed
(which is everytime someone asks a question).  It took me
several readings until I understood the vocabulary involved and
I'm not even close to having the instructions memorized.

For AOL people, someone suggested putting a / on the subject
line (said it works for him).

As always, if you need my help just ask.  I'm at BYU every day
Monday thru Friday and always read pianotech at least once a
day.

Jack
jack_reeves@byu.edu