noisy artist benches

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Wed, 01 Feb 1995 07:44:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
      If this is the bench I think it is there are two blocks of wood near
the ends of the central shaft that have two hex bolts holding them to the
under platform.
      There are *also* long nails through the blocks which need to be
extracted.  The blocks can then be firmly pushed togather and the bolts
tightened.  I have also taken steel plates a drilled them for the bolts which
allows more secure tightening.
      If this is the type that has a small central metal retainer with four
screws to maintain level the screws work loose and need to be tightened until
they strip out and new, larger screws installed.
      At some point hardwood plugs need to be installed to hold the
retainer properly.
      Hope this helps.  If not mail me.
            Newton