removing Steinway plate crosspiece

musselj@cadvision.com musselj@cadvision.com
Wed, 01 Feb 1995 10:46:19 +0000

> In fact an earlier issue of "Piano Quarterly" magazine covered that same
> subject, the danger in removing a cross brace with full string tension load.
> Editor Robert Silverman asked Michael Mohr, who said no problem, they do it
> at the factory frequently. (I don't have the issue, but it was sometime in
> the years '89-92.)

I'm always wary of removing the crossbar, but there are times when it is necessary such as when
working on "B" dampers. If it comes out easily there should be no problem.

I wouldn't _leave_ it out though, especially during a performance or for long periods of time
if the piano is up to pitch.

Recently a roadie with a rock grouped removed the crossbar from one of the "D"s I look after
at the Jubilee Auditorium here in order to install a Helpenstill pickup.
I voiced my displeasure with the road manager about some $5.00/hr roadie playing with my hundred
thousand dollar Steinway and all he said was "they do it all the time."
My response was they may do it to other people's pianos but if I see anyone approach "my" grands
with a screwdriver and without my permission a grievance would be laid.

The bottom line is if it comes out easily there should be no problem. If it doesn't be careful!

John Musselwhite, RPT   Calgary, AB
musselj@cadvision.com
FidoNet 1:134/67  Metronet 201:5500/67