noisy artist benches

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 22:41:15 -0600

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995 CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU wrote:

> My question concerns the MAFCO benches.  They are noisy!  Almost all of
> the ones here 'clunk' if the pianist shifts their weight from side to
> side.  I can see where the play is in the mechanism which allows this to
> occur but I haven't figured out what to do about it.  Has anyone come up
> with a solution which works well for them?  Has anyone else ideas which
> they've not tried yet but seem like they ought to work?  I'd appreciate
> some help on this one!! (Yes, I tightened *everything*!)

Ah!  There *is* something you can do with your clunky artist benches!
And, believe you me, it's *quite* satisfying.  John Baird, the Dean of
Destruction, produces a show every summer (I've not seen the show in
person, but Ron Berry and John Minor will attest to it) that could
introduce a new art....the Artist Bench Toss *and* solve your
cacophonous bench problems.  Actually, I'd _love_ to see a gadget
whereupon one would place said clunker, crank up the tension, and let 'er
fly.  (Remember Northern Exposure's alternative to the Bovine Toss?) Make
sure all the nuts are good and tight!

But seriously, we too, at U of Illinois suffer from rickety-bench
syndrome.  A cure doctor?  I've toyed with the idea of finding teflon
fender washers to insert between the lifter arms.  Can't remember whether
or not there were nuts there or rivets.  (Got a bench handy, Alan?)

Ron Torrella                  Self-explanatory - [A]bort [C]ancel [R]etry
University of Illinois              Inexplicable   -   + + +