fortepianos

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 07 Feb 1995 09:12:36 -0600

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Mark Story wrote:

> This may have been me in reference to a Bluthner I rehammered. I
> suspected this to be the case myself, but I couldn't determine it for
> sure. I certainly wish we had this forum back then. I ended up
> compromising and lengthening the bore somewhat, but it still overstrikes
> some. I have my doubts as to whether this overstriking was intentional,
> or merely that they didn't consider it to be a critical factor. I would
> like to hear more about it.

I don't think a fortepiano benefits from overstriking, so if this is
happening the matter deserves a look.  Also, the hammers on the Bluethner
I am working on do not overstrike.  I don't think they are the original
hammers, but as with fortepianos, I do not see any advantage to hammers
overstriking.

I forget who mentioned it (I think it was P. Sloffer) but the hammers on
the fortepiano whose leathers are grooved need to be releathered.
Renner's catalog shows this type of leather.  There are several fortepiano
makers in the States who would probably be good to contact regarding the
delicate subject of hammer leather.  One person is John Lyon in East
Point, Michigan (Lyon Keyboard Instruments).  I don't have a phone number.
Try directory assistance....  Replacing hammer leather is going to be
time-consuming and rather tedious.  HINT: The scraps you get from APSCO
are better suited to gripping nuts that you don't want to mung up....

Ron Torrella                  Self-explanatory - [A]bort [C]ancel [R]etry
University of Illinois              Inexplicable   -   + + +