fortepianos

Steve Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 20:23:42 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 10 Feb 1995, Dennis Johnson wrote:

>     My Department is finally getting ready to commission a fortepiano and
> my recommended short list has been reduced to either Reiger or the Wolf's.
>  I have examined and played instruments from both but never really worked
> on them.  If anyone is holding out some direct experience please share that
> with us now.
>         Ken: Does your partner there at Oberlin (Allen Wright)  care to
> enlighten us on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis Johnson

      Dennis, we have a Regier fortepiano here at the UW. I think we've
had it about 8 or 10 years. It's a wonderful instrument which gets used
quite a lot, and I feel it has been very dependable and solid. Like any
fortepiano (or harpsichord, for that matter), it needs frequent tuning;
maybe every two to four weeks or so during much of the year, and it's not
easy to tune. The model we have is based on a Walter from, I think, about
1795. I've also heard very good things about the Wolfs, and in fact one
of our faculty members has an instrument on order from them.

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide