RE removing Steinway Diagon

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Sat, 11 Feb 1995 21:23:13 -0500

                      Subject:                              Time:  5:34 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE removing Steinway Diagonal Bar     Date:  2/2/95

Date: 2/1/95 8:32 AM     --  ORIGINAL POSTING --
To: Kenneth Sloane
From: pianotech@byu.edu
In fact an earlier issue of "Piano Quarterly" magazine covered that same
subject, the danger in removing a cross brace with full string tension load.
Editor Robert Silverman asked Michael Mohr, who said no problem, they do it
at the factory frequently. (I don't have the issue, but it was sometime in
the years '89-92.)

Bill Ballard RPT    "Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am,
           NH Chapter          and you are what you are"    From a recurring
nightmare.

-- REPLY --
Steinway installs the diagonal bar after the third chipping and installation
of the dampers. They obviously feel it is safe to bring a piano to pitch
without the bar in place. I believe it was Fred Drasche who told me that the
bar was fitted to the cast iron frame to stiffen a potentially weak spot. The
bar's termination occurs at the joining of several plate members where even
cooling is a problem during casting and, hence, an area of potential
weakness. Myself and Kerry Kean, technician at Kent State University traded
letters about the bar that appeared in a 1989 Journal. I don't remember which
month. The letters have more info; if you are so inclined, search them out.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin