fortepianos

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 09:58:21 -0600

At  7:08 AM 2/15/95 -0700, Steve Brady wrote:
>Dennis, our Regier has solid brass bass strings, but, again, it is a
>Walter copy from the late 18th cent. I've examined early 19th cent. Grafs
>in Vienna, and they do have wound strings in the low bass. Another thing
>our Regier/Walter has is triple stringing in the upper treble, which
>makes aural tuning a real trip (the upper treble always rebounds more
>than the double-strung remainder of the piano). Tuning this piano became
>much easier when I got my AccuTuner.

------------------------

        Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that all wound strings
were a loose winding until at least the mid-1830's, and even the tight
windings I've seen from the mid-19th century extended over the entire
speaking length (nearly from if not through the tuning pin to over and past
the bridge).  Maybe they knew something about inharmonicity?  Does anyone
know exactly when our modern winding design evolved and who is credited
with this deveopment?

        Also, thanks to Steve for putting together a very interesting
dialog from our list here in the Journal on cappo bars and duplex.  It
flows together extremely well, a credit to your editing skill.  Don't be
surprised if we see some new subscribers!

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu

P.S. Steve: Your not the first to call this place St. Olaf's College. That
happens so often it is an old joke and we half expect it.