Feb. Journal-Jack Wyatt Column

WScharbrou@aol.com WScharbrou@aol.com
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 23:05:42 -0500

My thanks to Steve for an exciting new perspective for the journal.  Keep
 the good work coming!  Thanks also to all your "helpers " in the discussion
..

David Porritt writes on Feb 17 about Jack Wyatt's article in the Journal...

Jack: " One point we stressed was that people have a right to buy any quality
piano they choose, and other people have a right to build any quality they
choose.  It's not my, your or anybody else's business.."

David:  "Does that bother anybody else?  I'm politically conservative enough
that I believe it at the theortical level, but somehow it rankles me where
the shoe leather meets the pavement.  Jack has expressed the idea in PTG
meetings and I know he believes it firmly."

In about 20 years of selling and about 12 years of tuning I find that most
customers will buy a better quality piano if the differences are demonstrated
in a logical manner.  Those who decide not to opt for better quality do so by
choice.  Our only obligation is  to attempt to educate.  From then on, they
are on their own.

  I'm sure you have been in homes where the customer apologizes for their medi
ocre instrument. Those people made their choice usually based on price.  I'm
sure you have also been in homes where the people have commented how they
wished they had bought a nicer piano. But have you ever heard a customer say
"I wish I had bought a cheaper instrument", though?  That just doesn't
happen.   If your business is like mine the majority of home pianos you
encounter are not very good pianos. I contend that if these people were educat
ed better most would buy better quality.

David and Jack are both right, of course, because ours is not a perfect
world.  But then has anybody out there  ever met the perfect piano? Thanks
for letting me "chew the fat".
 Bill Scharbrough. RPT