politics

richard west rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 16:36:23 -0600 (CST)

First, I want to thank everyone who offered assistance on the care and
feeding of fortepianos.  It has been helpful and appreciated.

Secondly, regarding Dampp-Chasers, several years ago I installed a
number of them in faculty studios and found out that faculty ignored
them and so they were ineffective.  I tried filling them myself, but
this was a very time consuming operation and finding a good time to
get into studios was sometimes a problem.  I have since taken them all
out and rely on the maintenance people to turn on the humidity in the
winter.  This year my humidistat has held at around 50% all winter.
The pianos are staying in tune rather well.  The problem is not
all rooms are the same.  Some have too much moisture pumped in which
causes too much condensation around the windows and has peeled some
plaster.  I'm sure the maintenance people don't like that, but
violinists, bassists, pianists, and I would rather have the humidity.

Thirdly, I understand from a post from vince that pianotech was
down last weekend.  I posted a query then and have received no
response.  I assume it got lost in cyberspace so I'll repeat it.
We have two piano faculty positions that will be filled this year and
next.  I will be meeting with the first 4 candidates next month.  What
would be the top 5 questions you would ask prospective piano faculty?
Are there any clues (signs, auras, strange behaviors, etc.) that might
tip off the temperamental (no pun intented) artiste who feeds on the
flesh of unsuspecting piano technicians?

Richard West
Naive Nebraskan
rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu