Damper problems

Steve Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Sun, 19 Feb 1995 20:43:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
Thanks for the good words.

I'm working on putting together a roundtable on damper problems. We had a
pretty good discussion of "damper emphysema," which I take to mean the
noise dampers make as the pedal is depressed and the wedges brush the
strings slightly on the way up. Now I'm interested in hearing your pet cures
for damper "oinks," or the sound you sometimes hear when the pedal or the key is
released very gradually, just as the wedge starts to re-seat. I think in
a live performance setting, the "oink" is even more disturbing than the
"wheeze." :-)

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide