Quality pianos

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 09:39:01 -0800 (PST)

>Yes, the companies can make them, the stores can sell them and the
>customers can buy whatever they want.  It's just that there are very few
>areas where product ignorance runs as deep as in pianos.  I drive a
>Plymouth and not a Mercedes but I know the difference.  With pianos, people
>don't know that difference.  That imposes a responsibility on vendors not
>to take advantage of that ignorance simply to turn a quick profit.

Dealers and manufacturers pay for their opportunism in the long run (bye,
bye Kimball).  It's just a shame that customers and techs have to deal with
the mess that they leave behind.  The important thing for us is that we not
allow ourselves to be put in the position of "shills" for these.  You've
seen and I've seen it (I put it down to Zig Zigler overdose), but the techs
that give in and do it pay with their reputation for a long time.  Sales can
be an honorable persuit (second oldest profession not withstanding) - if
it's conducted honerably.  An honorable person would not take advantage of a
customer's natural ignorance to their own shortterm benefit.

Mark
Mark Story, RPT

Eastern Washington University        |  mstory@ewu.edu
Cheney, Washington, USA                |  mark.story@phunnet.org