Frozen centers

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 11:00:56 -0500 (EST)

I know I am sticking me neck out for a flaming, but I have been extremely
successful in handling tight Asian centers using WD-40.

Yes, I know, but it _works_!

I have a piano, Korean yet, still under warrenty where the damper flanges and
top flanges froze up and I was facing repinning the entire damper action.  I
called the dealer who sent a technician who used WD-40.  I said, "That won't
work!"  He said, "Ja, it vill."

Two years later they are still free, so were the tuning pins, so in it went
for a repinning job, by the dealer.  Oh, well we all must have trials in our
jobs.

The next time you have a Yamaha, Kawai, or Korean piano with frozen pins try
on or two and see.  I do not know why the freeze up or why WD-40 works.  They
do and it does, so there.

I haope all of you are well.

      Newton