State & Regionals

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 21:28:01 -0600

On Fri, 24 Feb 1995, DMCKECH wrote:

> 1. Is it unrealistic to expect a forum at all state conferences?

No, but participation may be low at some for various reasons.  Ex.: Some
conferences are held at a time when C&U techs are unable to get away
because of work (high recital seasons).

> 2. Are there people in your state that are willing to push the issue at
> the conference board meeting?

Dunno.

> 3. Are there people in your state willing to run the forum, select topics
> for discussion, select instructors, teach a class, etc?

There's one born every minute....

> 4. Where are the s&rUs?
>           List of known s&rUs -   NEECSO, NY, PA, NC, FL, Central W,
>                             TX, Central E,AZ, CA, Pacific NW, OH
>           Are there others not on this list?
> 5. Are one day seminars for C&U tech's a possibility?

If their timing is just right, maybe.

> 6. Should a list of instructors and their topics related to institutional
> maintenance be developed? (This could be an aid for people setting up a
> forum).
> 7. What topics for discussion do you have in mind?

I rather like the idea of a free-form session -- perhaps with some topics
to chose from.  Concert piano care/maintenance, prioritized maintenance of
institutional pianos, security, *Electronic Scheduling of Tunings* (as
opposed to piles of papers for every schedule add/drop/change coming from
the events office <argh!>....pretty much anything you see discussed here.
With a few exceptions.

> I realize how difficult it sometimes is to attend a s&r.  Unlike the annual
> conference, most s&r's take place when the semester is in full swing.

Heck!  I haven't been able to get to a *chapter* meeting because of
schedule conflicts!  (They're often in different cities...and when
they're in town, invariably there's some demand elsewhere that precludes
attendance!  Uncanny.)

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette