Steinway Hammers

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 09:42:50 -0500 (EST)

I received a post from Bob Grijalva, tech at Univ of Michigan, about
various and sundry things. With his permission, I am excerpting some
copy from that post that might generate some debate on the electron
paths. FYI:

     I wanted to let you know that I am going to be doing a fun experiment
which we (in the tech community at large, I think) have always wanted to do.

Kathy and I are going to be going to Germany on the cheap this May and my
former piano teacher (from when I was a boy and my family was there with the
Army) has asked that I put New York Steinway hammers on her Hamburg B.  I'm
going to pre-hang a set and bring them out there and install them in her
piano.  Should be a fun challenge!  She, along with most of the piano faculty
at the Mainz Conservatory where I studied, told me that she prefers the
softer New York hammer, and wished her piano weren't so bright and glassy
with its Hamburg stuff.  Well, the grass is always greener even over there!

They want to play New York Steinways over there, and our people over here
want to play Hamburg Steinways.  Go figure!

Ken Sloane   Oberlin conservatory