Mason & Hamlin sustain pedal:

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Tue, 04 Jul 1995 13:51:09 -0400

>I have a client with a squeaking pedal on her "BB".  This is a five
>year old instrument. Technicians have tried to eliminate the squeak
>applying  various types of lubricants and inverting the felt to give
>new bearing surface.  The lady is concerned that this is a "factory
>defect".  I am sure that there is a  solution. Your advice would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you for your help
>Garret Tryalor

Garret,
1) Check the alignment of all the moving parts. Is anything rubbing against
anything else?
2) Remove action, check to see if damper tray makes the noise when operated
by hand.
3) Remove the lyre and  pedal box bottom, make sure that the pedals travel
silently in the pivots.
4) Remove all the "various lubricants"
5) Replace any felt or leather that cannot be cleaned.
6) Tighten all screws, reinstall lyre.
7) Recheck for noise. Apply powdered Teflon or Protek to bearing points if
necessary.
                  Let me know how it goes,
                                                          Dale Probst
                                                    Ward & Probst, Inc.