Mason & Hamlin sustain pe...

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Tue, 04 Jul 1995 15:10:34 -0400

Garret,

It sounds like the "various technicians" haven't located the exact source of
the squeak.  You need to isolate sections by working backwards.  I usually
start by climbing under the piano and work the trap levers by hand.  This
takes the lyre portion out of the loop, and I know which direction to head.
 Once you've determined the source, you'll be able to deal with the squeak.

I'd like to add that often there may be a squeak in a pedal that the owner
can produce, and you can't because their foot is pressing the pedal at a
different angle, so try every angle you can!

You also mentioned that some had tried inverting the felt......better to use
a new piece then use the old, offending piece and expect improvement.

Gordon Large
Maine