RE shanks

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Fri, 07 Jul 1995 09:18:00 -0500 (EST)

---------------ORIGINAL POST-------------
Now, to the discussion at hand.  Thanks, Ken, for maintaining the importance
of hammer weight in this complicated equation.  Remember, folks, there is a
VERY important dynamic property called INERTIA that has to be figured into
the equation.  The downweight and upweight can all be perfect but if you are
using a hammer of improper weight, the tone of the piano will still be very
limited in dynamic range and color potential.

It might be an interesting demonstration to have several different action
part combinations in a piano and see how the tone (and repetition) is really
effected....any takers? Or has it already been done?

Brian De Tar  RPT
BDetar@aol.com

I have a Steinway "D" here at Oberlin fitted with two actions, each action
having a different combination of parts and geometry (lever sizes and ratios).
I am teaching a class about this instrument and its two actions at
Albuquerque  in July.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory