Wippens, Rep springs

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri, 07 Jul 1995 17:36:39 -0500

On Fri, 7 Jul 1995, Dennis Johnson wrote:

>         Since we all seem to agree that these springs are to tight, please
> do your part and communicate that message to Lloyd Meyer. I only know of a
> few of us who have complained about this but if more people said something
> they would change the wire gauge. I also want to see all of the shanks
> thinned as well, but I don't fret that much over the loose pinning because
> I would have to check everything anyway. As long as the pinning is
> consistant, I can repin them quickly.
>         Those of us who use somewhat lighter hammers have an even bigger
> grievance about those springs. I find that they are all too strong, not
> just in the treble.

I wonder how receptive Renner (in Stuttgart--since that's who actually
makes the wippens for Renner USA) would be to some Yankee Westerner
telling them how to improve their product.  Granted, they did add the
adjustment screw (mercifully!), I don't think they're going to be
terribly sympathetic.  Aren't they going to be at Albuqurque?  Surely
Lloyd will be.  For the record, I use .029 gauge wire in the highest
10-12 wippens.

I did experiment with lower spring gauges and wasn't satisfied with the
change in responsiveness.  Anyone else try this?

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois