HammerWt/Tone

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 08 Jul 1995 09:37:21 -0400

Brian De Tar  wrote:

>but if you are using a hammer of improper weight, the tone of the piano
will >still be very limited in dynamic range and color potential.

I disagree with this observation.   My experiance has taught me that full
dynamic range can be had with light hammers.  The difference is in the tonal
energy which relates to things like how can you hear the piano in the back
row, or how can you hear the piano relative to the ensemble, or how strong
are the mike signals (when the piano is miked).  The lighter the hammer the
lower the tonal energy.  But a piano with light hammers wil still have a
full dynamic range.  I like to discribe it this:  Light hammers create a
small rainbow of tonal color.  Heavier hammers create a larger rainbow.

As a general rule: the lighter the hammer the softer the felt needs to be in
order to achieve the rainbow effect, and vice versa.

David C. Stanwood